History of The Bury Society For Deaf & Hearing Impaired People
The Bury Society for Deaf and Hearing Impaired People started from humble beginnings in 1932 when a group of individuals and £100 started a small organisation to serve the needs of the deaf in Bury and the wider Greater Manchester area. In the early days of the Charity, the members worked energetically to grow the organisation.
However, the society owes its presence and success to its first Treasurer Mrs. Ada Wallwork. During WWII the organisation lost the room it operated from to the Army who required the space. The organisation decided to re-locate and took up permanent residence at its current site on Tenterden Street in 1948. Since that date the Bury Society for Deaf and Hearing Impaired People has been providing services and activities to both benefit and enhance the lives of its members.
Today our society is run by a very small number of paid personnel and in excess of 25 trustees and volunteers. Our members enjoy a variety of social, educational and life skills training services from our Society. It is our sincere hope that the services we provide our members will not only enrich their lives but allow greater integration between the deaf and hearing impaired communities and the community at large.
The charity supports all deaf and hearing impaired people whatever their background and needs.